A major roadblock in the path to ADD success is being unaware. Lack of awareness hinders ADHD adults’ productivity, basic functioning and organization.
When I start working with a new ADD coaching client, one of the first threads I weave into their new cloak of ADD success is building awareness.
ADHD Adults Need to Build Awareness of:
- What they are doing vs. what they want to be doing.
- How their brain is functioning.
- The disorganization muddling their lives.
When you buy my organizing program, Organized for Life, Step One, Setting Yourself up for Success, will teach you the nuts and bolts of increasing awareness. It’s all in the section about Retraining Your Brain.
Today I’m going to share with you a quick easy organizing trick learned after I wrote Organized for Life. You can be sure it’ll be in the next edition! Use this technique to boost your awareness and get organized more easily in small steps.
The Spyglass: A Quick and Easy Organizing Trick
Here’s what you do.
1. Make a spyglass in front of one of your eyes with your hands as if you were the captain of a ship.
(The professional organizer I learned this trick from suggested using an empty toilet paper roll, but that’s not very practical for people with Attention Deficit. First, you’d have to find an empty toilet paper roll and then remember to put it away when you’re done. How likely is that to happen? Let’s keep things easy. Simply use your hands to make the spyglass.)
2. Pick a room you’d like to have better organized and stand in the middle of it.
3. Close your eyes and turn around. Now open your eyes and look through your spyglass.
4. Ahoy Matey! Do you spot a small area through your spyglass to organize? That’s because when you focus on one area your awareness heightens and you can really see the clutter!
5. Immediately dash over to the spot you just spied through your spyglass and tidy it up. Don’t wait. Do it NOW!
Can’t decide what to get rid of and what to keep? Step Four, Digging Out – Get Control of the Clutter, in my Organized for Life program will tell you all you need to know.
Use the spyglass organizing technique a few times a day to increase your awareness of the disorganization and clutter. I hope taking these small steps to organize your ADHD makes a huge difference in your life.