Today kicks off the first day of ADHD Awareness Month so we want to focus on one of the major roadblocks in the path to ADHD success —> being unaware.
Why is this important?
The lack of awareness hinders the productivity, basic functioning and organization of adults with ADHD.
Three things that you need to be successful.
They are so essential that when I first start working with a new ADHD coaching client, one of the first threads I weave into their new cloak of ADHD success is building awareness.
ADHD adults need to build awareness of:
- What they are doing vs. what they want to be doing
- How their brain is functioning
- The disorganization muddling their lives.
Today I’m going to share with you a quick easy organizing trick I’ve outlined in my Organized for Life. Use this technique to boost your awareness and get organized more easily in small steps.
The Spyglass: A Quick and Easy Organizing Trick
Here’s what you do.
1. Make a spyglass in front of one of your eyes with your hands as if you were the captain of a ship.
(The professional organizer I learned this trick from suggested using an empty toilet paper roll, but that’s not very practical for people with Attention Deficit. First, you’d have to find an empty toilet paper roll and then remember to put it away when you’re done. How likely is that to happen? Let’s keep things easy. Simply use your hands to make the spyglass.)
2. Pick a room you’d like to have better organized and stand in the middle of it.
3. Close your eyes and turn around. Now open your eyes and look through your spyglass.
4. Ahoy Matey! Do you spot a small area through your spyglass to organize? That’s because when you focus on one area your awareness heightens and you can really see the clutter!
5. Immediately dash over to the spot you just spied through your spyglass and tidy it up. Don’t wait. Do it NOW!
Can’t decide what to get rid of and what to keep? Step Four, Digging Out – Get Control of the Clutter, in my Organized for Life program will tell you all you need to know.
Use the spyglass organizing technique a few times a day to increase your awareness of the disorganization and clutter. I hope taking these small steps to organize your ADHD makes a huge difference in your life.
Want to learn other strategies to increase your awareness and assist in organization?
- ADHD Awareness…Really??
- Why Practical Organizing is Essential
- Organizing ADHD? Habits Matter
- Sign up for the ADHD Expo to spend ADHD Awareness Month with other adults with ADHD looking to enhance their awareness!